Sleep is essential to health and well-being, according to the National Sleep Foundation (NSF). Despite that, millions of people do not get enough sleep and many suffer from lack of sleep or lack of quality sleep.
Sleep plays a vital role in good health and well-being throughout your life.
Sleep is involved in:
- the healing and repair of your heart and blood vessels
- helping maintain a healthy balance of the hormones
- supporting healthy growth and development
- rejuvenating your immune system
Ongoing sleep deficiency is linked to an increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke, obesity and increased risk in fighting common infections.
Tips to Help You Get Your ZZZ’s
- Keep A Regular Sleep Schedule – set a regular bedtime and wake time
- Regulate Your Sleep-Wake Cycle – get light exposure as much as possible during the day and in the evening enjoy comfort dim lighting. This helps to naturally regulate your body’s melatonin levels.
- Create Relaxing Bedtime Routines – turn on “night shift” on your devices and download the f.lux softwarehttps://justgetflux.com/ for your laptops and desktops to make the color of your computer’s display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day. Turn off all technology at least one hour before bed; have a hot bath; write down any to-do’s for the following day to help you relax; keep your bedroom cool; remove any distractions from the bedroom(t.v.’s, computers, devices etc.).
- Avoid Caffeine & Alcohol before Bed –both interrupt your sleep quality. You may need to stop having caffeine and/or alcohol by 4pm if you’re chronically sleep deprived and/or suffer from insomnia.
- Relaxation Techniques –try deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation,yoga stretches, qigong or tapping for sleep. All are good strategies to induce relaxation.
- Make A Change – if you cannot sleep don’t lie there tossing and turning looking at the clock. Instead try a non stimulating activity like reading (with dim light),or try a light protein snack, make your goal to relax not sleep. Appreciate the comfort of your bed and allow your mind to focus inward on your breath or the sound of a fan or music that you find soothing and relaxing.