Not only are cell membranes and the internal cellular system important to detox but the cell matrix, the yard that surrounds the cells is vital to keep clean as well. The extra cellular matrix is prone to damage from both toxins and disease. The cell matrix thickens and loses fluidity which slows the flow of nutrients from the blood to the cells and the transport of cell waste products away from the cell. Poor circulation allows toxic deposits into the extra cellular matrix. If the matrix gets bogged down bacteria and other microbes have an opportunity to proliferate. Often disease manifests in the spaces around the cells rather than inside the cells. If waste removal and cell function breaks down and oxygen and nutrient exchange is seriously impeded eventually cells die premature or too many at one time.
To keep the cell yard matrix clean and functioning optimally there are a few daily habits we can take on.
- Drink 2 litres of filtered water daily. (this helps all detoxification pathways)
- Get out of breath with vigorous exercise every day if only for short bursts at a time
- Elongate the spine with fascia stretches or yoga poses that will enhance the nervous system and increase circulation and organ function.
- Have 1-3 bowel movements per day.
3 Part Daily Detox Summary:
Detoxification habits are a lifestyle. Food habits, exercise, breathe, supplementation and temperature change techniques with saunas, steams, or hot/ cold alternating showers/bathes can help to upregulate how your cells are cleaned. Daily habits can be more important than isolated efforts with strict detoxification diets.
Make it a daily habit to clean cells, cell membranes and the cell yard and your fitness and focus can be optimized year round.
Incorporate foods and spices from the list below on a weekly and/or daily basis to help create a daily detox habit.
- Fennel – weekly, diuretic
- Garlic – daily, high in trace minerals, promote sweating, stabilize blood sugar, up-regulate the liver, active ingredient allicin clears cholesterol from the blood
- Apple cider vinegar – 1tbsp minimum daily, slows stomach emptying, active ingredient acetic acid stimulates the metabolism, decreases free radicals, balances gut pH.
- Flaxseed oil and seeds – high in omega 3, balances out omega 6, attracts oxygen to cells, seeds have insoluble fiber
- Sauerkraut – fermented food that feeds good intestinal bacteria and enhances digestion
- Kefir – from grain as apposed to starter culture, is known to have over 400 beneficial gut flora
- Cayenne – rich in vitamin E, aid to digestion, induce sweating, increased oxygen distribution
- Organic cranberry juice – 4oz daily, decrease cholesterol oxidation, rich in anti-oxidants phenols, enhance B-12 assimilation, flush the bladder
- Flaxseed oil – 2tbsp daily, increase serotonin levels in the brain, stimulate bile, attracts fat soluble toxins to eliminate from the system, increase insulin sensitivity, rich in highly deficient Omega 3
- Lemon – all the juice from one fresh lemon – daily, antioxidant, increase digestion, stimulate the gall bladder and liver, stimulate production of digestive enzymes, help with lymph cleansing
- Water – 1itre per day, baths the extra cellular matrix, up-regulates metabolism
- Organic beef 4 – 4oz servings per week, rich in iron, B-12, carnitine, CLA to help CHO metabolism, rebuilds muscles, enhance metabolism, high in Zinc
- Eggs – 5-7 per week without the yolk broken, nutrient dense, B-vitamins, choline for brain function, aid liver function with rich source of protein
- Lamb – 2-4oz servings per week, rev the metabolism, rich in iron, B-12, and copper, magnesium, selenium
- Ricotta – 1cup per week, boosts the vital antioxidant glutathione, stabilize blood sugar, increase CCK hormone that communicates satiety to the brain, high in protein
- Asparagus – 1cup per week (deep green more important than thickness), feeds gut friendly bacteria, high in glutathione, rich in minerals,
- Broccoli – 3-5 cups per week, pectin, bile binder, chromium, potentially goitergenic do not exceed 5c
- Cabbage – 1c per week, high in sulforaphane and indoles, purge excess estrogens
- Cauliflower – 1-3cups per week, high in glucosinolates and thiocyanates for liver processes
- JiCAMA – 1 cup PER DAY neutralizes cholesterol, limits oxidation (cross between a potato and an apple)
- Kale – 5x per week SOD, one of the most powerful antioxidants
- Spaghetti Squash – 1 cup per week neutralize cholesterol
- Green apple/organic – 1 per day, high in fiber, neutralize cholesterol
- Berries / blue, straw, black, boison, / 1cup per day, anti-oxidants
- Peaches 1-3cups per week, anti-oxidants, enhance immunity, improve digestion
- Beets – daily, active ingredient stimulates the liver